Sunday, January 1, 2012

Starting the Proverbs 31 Journey

My personal goal is to be the wife God has called me to be. I have been enamored with the idea of the Proverbs 31 woman for over 3 years. At times I have struggled with this seemingly perfect woman. Was she a real woman? Was she King Solomon’s idea of a perfect woman? Does God really expect me to emulate this perfect person? I don’t know for certain the answer to the first two questions, but I do know the answer to the last question, YES. God created us perfect beings. We are the reflection of Him, and through our choices and our agency we have fallen short of our calling. God sent Jesus to prepare the way for us and it is our commitment to Him to follow His directions and teachings.


2 Timothy 3:16 says: And all scripture given by inspiration of God, is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; (Inspired Version). Based on this the Proverbs 31 pattern is instruction (or correction :) ) for the women God has called. Have you looked at the Proverbs 31 woman though, she’s a paragon among woman reminding me of a cross between Martha Stewart and Rosie the Riveter where as I’m more of a cross between Lucille Ball and Monica from friends. I have great intentions but often get sidetracked and lose focus of what’s really important.

I’ve acquired quite a few Proverbs 31 books but for this particular journey I’ve focused on Sara Horn’s My So Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife.  I discovered her book seemingly quite by accident but I tend to believe that things that seem like happy accidents are often not coincidences but God-incidences. Her book is not a how to (check out Donna Partow’s Becoming the Woman God wants me to Be (which I own also-and is a great book) if you’re looking for that) but a record of her journey. My record of the journey will be here; Thanks for joining me!

If you’re going to follow me on this journey I suggest picking up The Love Dare, Sara uses it to help her do her husband “good and not harm all the days of his life”. We have a copy of it too so it appears I’m all set.

Day 1 Jan 1, 2012 I’m hoping to use this format for my posts. There’s stability in repetition and I’m hoping the daily journaling will keep me on track.

Personal Study Verse: 2 Peter 1:5-7 And besides this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue, knowledge; and to knowledge, temperance; and to temperance, patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, charity.  (Inspired Version)

Love Dare: Luke 6:45 says “…for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.” (Inspired Version) Today I will resolve to demonstrate patience and say nothing negative to my spouse.

Thankfully, today’s challenge wasn’t much of a challenge for me. I had been praying about starting this journey so my heart was already in the right place and I think that has the most to do with the success of today. Plus, it was communion Sunday so I was in a good place from that. As a general rule I try to temper my tongue when responding to Michael as much as possible. He’s been a great champion of me in the past year and we had a life changing moment in August that has caused both of us to reexamine how we deal with each other. Tomorrow’s challenge: say nothing negative and do one kind thing.

Proverbs 31 Verse to work on: Proverbs 31:10-12 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. (Inspired Version)

I want this; I want Michael to trust me with his heart. This means that all of the decisions I make are not for me but to ensure good for him. It’s a difficult thing sometimes, to put someone before yourself, it’s easy to do that for my kids-they’re younger and I’m training them up and their mother but my husband is a grown man; he’s capable of doing a lot on his own and it’s not easy to always think of putting him first but that’s why I believe God created women. To be the help meet for them, someone suitable and worthy to complete them, and if I complete my husband then the same is true for me, he completes me. Looking at the list of things the Proverbs 31 woman does brings anxiety to a lot of women because we look at all of the things she does, I think we need to spend an equal amount of time looking at her heart…

Accomplishments for the day:

• Church-communion
• 1 Load of laundry
• Grocery shopping
• Time spend with a good friend
• Couponing caught up to today-newspapers are bought and inserts are sorted
• Create and write blog post
• Dinner-Pizza

0 comments:

Post a Comment